Saturday, July 28, 2007

Haiti? It is a country... South of Florida...

I have always liked history and geography. I like to think I have at least a general sense of where most places in the world are. I also have a heart for missions... so I really want to know where people are talking about!

(Don't get me wrong, The first time I heard missionaries speak about Myanmar I had to look it up and the mention of Kirabati or Eritrea during the Olympic opening ceremonies causes me to scratch my head and realize just how little I know about the whole world around me. )

Perhaps it is because of the time that I lived in South Florida, or maybe it is because my Dad spends a lot of time watching the South Florida/ Caribbean weather and fishing reports; but I have just assumed most people know what/where Haiti is. At least a good general idea.

Tonight a woman asked me if I had 4 or 5 kids. I had 4 kids with me, and she may have seen me previously with my (now adult) step-daughter. I laughed and told her both were true. We have 4 children at home and are in the process of adopting a fifth from Haiti.

She repeated the question, so...do you have 4 or 5 then? Then it hit me, the issue I cannot get used to. There are Americans who have never heard of Haiti... I backed up and explained... we are adopting a daughter but she is not home yet because we are adopting her from a country called Haiti. It is an Island off the Southern coast of Florida. I received a very blank stare. She asked "Why do you have a child there?" I guess the answer "She was born there" did not sit all that well with her because she looked even more confused and I had to walk away.

It happens every day. Usually it is because my daughter Anna tells everyone about her sister in Haiti, but I hear the craziest questions!

Where is Haiti?
What is Haiti?
Is it a country?
Where is it?
Is that near China?
Were they part of Russia?
Is Haiti a state? (My personal favorite!)
What do they look like? (post to follow about this!!!)
I thought it was Cuba that was south of Florida...

I am astounded at the very large number of people who are so oblivious the countries so very near our own. I do not expect that most of us could correctly label all of the Caribbean Islands. But I do think we ought to know more than that Jamaica is a nice place to get a sun tan! (It might be very fun to stand at the Jamaica Air terminal and ask people to point out on a map the place they were traveling to...)

I once read that a staggering number of US students were unable to correctly point out the Atlantic Ocean on a map, and that bothers me! When I was in high school we had to take a mandatory 3 semesters of Wisconsin history and government, but only one semester of world history.

So, without ranting a whole bunch or becoming mean and sarcastic... Here is a map.

At the top is Florida, Miami and key west are labeled. Haiti is right in the middle on the Island of Hispaniola. The portion of the island that makes up the country of Haiti is said to be the "Jewel of the Caribbean" the most beautiful place among these beautiful tropical islands. How sad that it would also be the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

So, to those of you who have wondered which island, and those of you who wondered which continent... Now you know! (It is in North America, BTW)

No comments: